A timeshare is a property that you own for a portion of the year, typically located in vacation destinations. Traditionally, people owned timeshares by the week, where they would by an ownership period for one of the 52 weeks of the year. More recently, timeshare companies have responded to the requests of the traveling public and created some very flexible and affordable options, allowing people to save money on travel, while not being locked into a single property or season.
You will always hear people share pros and cons of timeshare ownership, however keep in mind that much of what is shared isn’t always first hand information. Take me for example, before I knew what was involved in timeshare ownership (meaning I had not owned one, I was a skeptic and had only listened to the naysayers… and isn’t it funny how they often make more noise than advocates?
Today, I want to focus on the advantages of timeshare ownership, because – like me – you might find that it is just what you and your family need to enhance your vacation lifestyle.
Now keep in mind, these benefits do not apply to all timeshares. Yes, there are those old school timeshares that people are trying to offload on eBay. You will most likely not find the benefits I mention below with those properties, which is why people are trying to get out of them,
- It is a real estate asset. In many states, timeshare sales reps are required to be licensed real estate agents. From a perspective of net worth, it usually looks good to have real estate asset.
- You can pass it along to your children or heirs. Because it is a real estate asset, a timeshare can be left to your children of your estate through your will or estate plan.
- It allows you to freeze the cost of vacations. The cost of hotels has typically risen over the years and will continue to do so. When you purchase your timeshare, you will be able to keep the cost of your vacations at a stable level. If you are currently traveling a few weeks per year, this could represent a significant savings over time.
- It allows you to take more vacations. If you are currently not taking vacations, this will both force you to take a much-needed vacation, and open you up to more vacation possibilities. More travel means more memories, less stress, and better quality of life!
- Travel Perks. With the right timeshare network, you can also gain significant travel benefits such as “best price guarantees” on air travel, “discount weeks” where you can spend a week at a 5 Star resort for under $300.
- Flexibility in Travel. Owning a timeshare in the right network can open up many opportunities to travel as you desire, whether it’s last minute or a year down the road. In essence, you become your own travel agent.
- Travel to More Locations. I hate to keep stressing the network, but that does make a difference in how many locations you can travel. In the old school networks, you are sometimes limited in what you can trade for; in the modern day of vacation travel ownership, you can find properties in over 100 countries that you can stay in.
- Give You the Perks of Owning a Second Home without the Costs. Owning a second home sounds nice, but what about the costs and upkeep when you aren’t there? And wouldn’t you rather have thousands of “second homes” in dozens of countries as opposed to just one?
- Great Amenities. Most timeshares want you to have all of the comforts of home. This means having your own kitchen (do you really want to eat every meal out?), washer & dryer (for those long stays), pools, spas, water sports, golf packages, ski packages… you name it!
If you are currently vacationing and not a timeshare owner, I encourage you to consider it. If you simply want to travel more because you know it will improve your quality of life, then you should consider it as well.
Oh yeah, and if you are worried about getting a hard sell, that’s kind of old school as well. In this day and age where people post everything on social media, you won’t find many of the lame sales tactics that companies used to use which gave the industry a bad name.
If you live in the Phoenix Arizona area, or plan on being in the area and you want to learn first hand about the benefits of timeshare ownership with one of the best timeshare networks on the market, simply take this simple vacation ownership travel survey and someone will reach out to you to set up a brief meeting if you qualify (they will also offer you a two night stay at a timeshare resort in Sedona as a thank you… with no obligation to purchase).